Vocal Jazz Techniques
In the Vocal Jazz Techniques Class, the history of vocal jazz will be uncovered emphasizing techniques such as phrasing, rhythm and various styles of scat singing.
Students will be able to differentiate and demonstrate various scatting styles and apply them to present day pop music.
- Students will create and demonstrate various styles of scat singing.
- At the conclusion of class, a “Scat Jam Session” featuring students in a musically-friendly scat-jam-battle.
- Visit en.wikipedia.org/wiki/vocal_jazz for basic information regarding Scat Singing.
- Click here for a music sample!
Using syllables and music from a different language/culture, try creating a scat version of your favorite song.
- Standard 1: Singing, alone and with others, a varied repertoire of music
- Standard 4: Composing and arranging music with specified guidelines
- Standard 6: Listening to, analyzing and describing music
- Standard 8: Understanding relationships between music, the other arts, and disciplines outside the arts.
- Standard 9: Understanding music in relation to history and culture.