It’s that time of year again - when we reflect on what’s happened and look forward to what will be. The New Year is a time for new resolutions, new experiences, and new arts offerings!
Check out our top 7 suggestions for how you can be more cultured in 2017:
1. Take a dance class. From ballet to Zumba, tap to jazz, classes are offered all across Philadelphia. If you’re a teacher, take your students to one of our free education performing arts classes. If you prefer to observe, make a date to take in the beauty of performances like Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater and Philadanco.
2. You’ve always wanted to learn to play an instrument, so this is your year! Just think of 13-year-old piano prodigy Joey Alexander (gracing the Perelman Theater stage in March!). Take time to appreciate classic Philadelphia music icons like our friend Jerry Blavat, who at 76 is still spinning the hits we love to move and groove to.
3. Resolve to save money and still see preeminent performances! Really! The Kimmel Center, among several other cultural institutions across the city, have subscriber and member benefits to get dedicated patrons the best perks.
4. Get your museum on in the New Year. Support the Philadelphia Museum of Art, a 140-year institution, and marvel at famous works that just may change your perspective on the world and inspire you. Wander through The Barnes Foundation, taking in world-renowned early modern and post-impressionist works. Don’t forget about the Rodin Museum, known as “Paris on the Parkway.”
5. Broaden your scientific scope and visit The Franklin Institute or, for the littlest learners, the Please Touch Museum is the perfect place to ignite a passion for learning. Marvel at dinosaurs at the Academy of Natural Sciences. For those with a stronger stomach, The College of Physicians of Philadelphia’s Mütter Museum is a must.
6. Resolve to be a tourist! We are in Philadelphia, the birthplace of the United States; trace that history back to the beginning at some of Philadelphia’s oldest offerings like Liberty Bell, Independence Hall, Carpenters’ Hall, and Elfreth’s Alley.
7. And here’s your fun freebie. Rocky just celebrated its 40th birthday soresolve to do your best Sylvester Stallon imitation in 2017. You don’t have to run 30+ miles, passing every Philly landmark (thanks to Philadelphia Magazine for this amazing Rocky run research) but at least run up those steps one in your lifetime!
Remember, the best way to start your year off right is with us here at the Kimmel Center. Help us ring in the New Year on January 1st with our FREE New Year’s Day Celebration from 10:00 a.m. until 5:00 p.m.. With the best views of the Mummers Parade, performances, hot chocolate, and plenty of family fun, the day will feature face painting, hula hooping, balloon art, and more!