The Kimmel Center's Theater Residency program functions as an incubator for innovative performance while pushing artists both professionally and personally. In 2013, poet and playwright Dael Orlandersmith asked the first group of residency participants to use their time together to “invade their own privacy,” and challenged the artists to develop meaningful work that could only have come from them. That sentiment continues to inform the approach to the Kimmel Center’s Theater Residency.
This season, the Kimmel Center is excited to partner again with Joe’s Pub – an exchange providing collaboration in the artist selection process, guidance and dramaturgy to the artists in the development of their work, and an opportunity for additional performances at The Public Theater in New York City.
Different artists will read each night, and this season’s line-up is truly an incredibly diverse array of talents. Come check out the public readings to see and hear what they are working on.
The artistic teams:
- Nelida Karr & Elvis-Bob Ohia Bechiro
- Anthony Martinez-Briggs with Elle Morris, Andrew Nittoli and Jordan McRee
- Jennifer Kidwell with Collaborators TBD
- Helga Davis & Michael Joseph McQuilken
- Ellie Heyman & Dane Terry
- Vuyo Sotashe with Chris Pattishall & Gabe Schnider
Playwright in Residence
- Dael Orlandersmith