For a PDF version of this press release, click here.
It’s that time again! @KimmelCenter #PIFA2018 finale Street Fair on June 9 takes over Broad Street with performances, rides, food, and fun for all! More info @kimmelcenter.org/pifa
DAZZLING FREE PERFORMANCES AND EXHILIRATING SPECTACLES TRANSFORM BROAD STREET DURING THE HIGHLY ANTICIPATED FINALE STREET FAIR OF THE KIMMEL CENTER’S PHILADELPHIA INTERNATIONAL FESTIVAL OF THE ARTS JUNE 9, 2018
Boat races on Broad Street, an Olympic Dive Show, the Return of the Ferris Wheel, and MORE!
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: (Philadelphia, PA, June 5, 2018) The Kimmel Center for the Performing Arts announces the full list of activities and vendors that will fill Broad Street during the Philadelphia International Festival of the Arts (PIFA) finale Street Fair. Taking place from Chestnut Street to Lombard Street on Saturday, June 9, 2018 from 11:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m., Broad Street will once again transform into the ultimate FREE block party culminating the 10-day festival curated by the Kimmel Center for the Performing Arts. This year, Philadelphians will have the opportunity to create and sail their own paper boat down a river on Broad Street, ride the beloved Ferris Wheel, take a thrilling virtual reality swing ride, be amazed by the flying French airship Aéroplume, marvel at the Olympic style diving show, enjoy performances from local groups, and much more.
“The 2018 PIFA Street Fair is a fun-filled day for the whole family,” said Anne Ewers, President and CEO of the Kimmel Center for the Performing Arts. “We expect over 150,000 attendees, all of whom can enjoy everything from rides to local vendors to inspiring performances, all taking place right on the Avenue of the Arts.”
Dozens of performing troupes and entertainers, amusement rides, food vendors, and more will take part in the PIFA Street Fair, covering six city blocks, with over 150,000 attendees expected.
- The Ambassadors Jazztet – Members of the Jazz Ambassadors of The United States Army Field Band, the Army’s premier touring jazz orchestra, will perform traditional jazz standards as well as new compositions created by members of the group. For more information, click here.
- Camden Sophisticated Sisters / Distinguished Brothers - The inspiring organization from Camden, NJ, motivates, educates and empowers young men and women to rise above the stereotype that is associated with the region and overcome the odds. The talented drill team, who are featured in PIFA’s Taylor Mac: A 24-Decade History of Popular Music, will perform from their drill, step, hip hop, contemporary, modern, and jazz repertoire. For more information, click here.
- First Capital Drumline – Direct from York, PA, this marching percussion ensemble features musicians ages 14 to 21 that perform in the competitive circuit throughout Pennsylvania and Maryland. The young musicians will delight audiences. For more information, click here.
- The Kimmel Center’s La NOCHE Band
Led by master percussionist Arturo Stable, the Latin music flowing off the stage will have people dancing in the street! For more information, click here.
- Kulu Mele – Philadelphia’s own Kulu Mele will perform from their repertoire featuring authentic, traditional dance and drumming from West Africa and Brazil, as well as contemporary American hip hop. For more information, click here.
- Olympic Dream High Dive Show – Synchronized acrobatics and Olympic Style Diving from the top of an 80’ tower into a 10’ deep pool in the middle of the street! For more information, click here.
- Spiral Q – The local interactive organization works to create innovative projects throughout the community. The larger than life puppets will graze Broad Street and inspire audiences to participate in a community project. For more information, click here.
- Temple Marching Band – The Temple University Marching Band is an iconic staple to Philadelphia and the Temple University campus. It is The Pride of the Cherry and White. For more information, click here.
- Transe Express Les Tambours – Compagnie Transe Express, direct from France, will dazzle throughout PIFA during the World Premiere of Cristal Palace. Les Tambours will amaze audiences as they light their drums on fire and parade down Broad Street. For more information, click here.
- UDEF Tour Breakers – The Urban Dance and Educational Foundation’s Pro Breaking Tour works with community centers, schools, and colleges to perform and teach thousands of youth in the United States and Africa. The Pro Breaking Tour will perform street dance on Broad Street! For more information, click here.
- West Philly Orchestra
With blistering beats and walls of brass, this unique mix of Philadelphia musicians brings spirit to their live performances! For more information, click here.
- Ferris Wheel – This popular attraction returns to Broad Street!
- Virtual Reality Swings – Thrill Engineer,Brendan Walker has amplified the swinging experience to take you on some incredible, action-packed adventures. Jump aboard a playground swing, don a VR headset, and start swinging!
- Super Slide – Slide down a giant slide as you take in the sites of Center City, Philadelphia!
- Merry-go-Round – Perfect for everyone in the family!
ATMOSPHERE, INTERACTION, AND DINING
- Paper Boat River – Create and sail your own paper boat down the river on Broad Street.
- Obstacle Course – Test your skills in this super funobstacle course made of ropes and hangs high above Broad Street. It will give you a challenging outdoor experience.
- Camel Corral – See and feed camels on the street!Encounter camels for a unique and memorable experience that will entertain and educate audiences about these regal animals and their habitat.
- Aerosculpture’s Aéroplume – Gaze high above Broad Street at the floating airship with fluttering wings from France.
- Food Vendors – There will be over 20 food vendors. Here’s the list:
Brulee, Turkish Grill, Caribbean Islands Cuisine, Karas Grill Inc, Innovative Catering Concepts, Verizon Fios, Three Scoops Ventures, Life Art, Philly Fry, Philly Fry - Cannoli Café, AARP, KenChar, HK Special Event Food, Asante Sana Art, Beaucycled, Corry Enterprises, Gourmet Candle, Mann Center for Performing Arts, Festival Food Management, Capogiro Gelato Artisans LLC, Li Ping Corn Company, Roe Restaurant, Buzzetta Festival Foods, 5 one 7 designs, M&M Links, Philly Word Art/ Daniel Duffy, Lightbox Film Center, Laughing Crab Catering, Fezziwig's, Nick's Roast Beef, Never Too Spoiled, KenChar , Adorned by Aisha, Cow and the Curd Zuzu Confectionery, Garces, The Tea Can Company Bimbo Bakeries, Armond Scavo Photography, Taller Puertrriqueno, Peter Hewitt Photographs, RD Shadez, Penn Academy of the Fine Arts, Willow Street Pictures Inc, TogTees, Kono Pizza, Reggae Reggae Vibes Buzzetta Festival Foods, J-Dogs, Inc, The Spicy Belly, Los Gallos Restaurant & Taqueria
- Community Table – Enjoy food and drinks at a large community dining table in the middle of Broad Street!
- Beer Gardens – Garces Events will have three beer gardens; one set up on Spruce Street outside the Kimmel Center as well as on Broad and Pine Streets across from the Symphony House.
The PIFA Street Fair is free and open to the public.
PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT
Broad Street Closure – PIFA Street Fair
Broad Street will close on Friday, June 8 at 7:00 p.m. from Chestnut to South Street, including Spruce Street, Locust Street, and Sansom Street, for the PIFA Street Fair.
Walnut Street, Pine Street, and Lombard Street will close Saturday, June 9 at 6:30 a.m.
All roads will reopen on Sunday, June 10 at 3:00 a.m. Attendees are encouraged to use public transportation.
Thank you for your cooperation. You may call the Kimmel Center for the Performing Arts or visit www.pifa.org for more information.
The Kimmel Center for the Performing Arts
Located in the heart of Center City, Philadelphia, the Kimmel Center’s mission is to operate a world-class performing arts center that engages and serves a broad audience through diverse programming, arts education, and community outreach. The Kimmel Center Campus is comprised of the Kimmel Center for the Performing Arts (Verizon Hall, Perelman Theater, SEI Innovation Studio, and the Merck Arts Education Center), the Academy of Music (owned by the Philadelphia Orchestra Association), and the Merriam Theater. The Kimmel Center is also home to eight Resident Companies: The Philadelphia Orchestra, Opera Philadelphia, The Pennsylvania Ballet, The Philly POPS, PHILADANCO, The Chamber Orchestra of Philadelphia, The Philadelphia Chamber Music Society and Curtis Institute of Music. With nearly 9,000 seats per night, The Kimmel Center for the Performing Arts is the region’s most impactful performing arts center, and the second largest in the country. TD Bank, America’s Most Convenient Bank, is the season sponsor of the Kimmel Center’s 2017-2018 Season. American Airlines is the official airline of Broadway Philadelphia. For additional information, visit www.kimmelcenter.org.
# # #
For a PDF version of this press release, click here.
For photography, please visit www.kcpress.smugmug.com