Kimmel Center Inc.’s mission is to operate a world-class performing arts center that engages and serves a broad audience from throughout the Greater Philadelphia region.
The principal means by which The Kimmel Center achieves its mission include:
- Operating and maintaining world-class performance venues including the Kimmel Center for the Performing Arts and the Academy of Music.
- Providing state-of-the-art venues and support facilities for its resident companies and a broad range of other regional performance groups at below costs.
- Presenting artistic programming of the highest quality that serves diverse audiences and brings world-renowned artists to Philadelphia.
- Providing vital arts education and community programming to serve the interests of a broad and diverse audience.
Kimmel Center, Inc. began to take shape in 1996 when two projects came together: The Philadelphia Orchestra's ongoing plan to build a new home for itself, and a plan of then-Mayor Edward G. Rendell to provide a much-needed venue for some of Philadelphia's most prominent performing arts companies and for touring presentations. With the generous consent of the Orchestra, which had acquired a property at Broad and Spruce Streets, the two plans were merged under the supervision and management of a new organization, the Regional Performing Arts Center (RPAC).
Today Kimmel Center, Inc. incorporates public amenities and operates three major venues:
- The Kimmel Center for the Performing Arts, which is home to Verizon Hall (2,500-seat concert hall), Perelman Theater (650-seat recital theater), and SEI Innovation Studio – a 2,688 sq. foot black box theater,
- A renovated and upgraded Academy of Music (2,900 seats), which is owned by the Philadelphia Orchestra,
- And the Merriam Theater (1,841 seats), which is owned by the University of the Arts and still houses student activities and projects approximately 10 weeks out of the year.
Kimmel Center, Inc.'s facilities host eight resident companies: Verizon Hall is home to The Philadelphia Orchestra and to The Philly Pops®. Perelman Theater is home to PHILADANCO, The Chamber Orchestra of Philadelphia, The Philadelphia Chamber Music Society and Curtis Institute of Music - The Academy of Music is home to the Opera Philadelphia and the Pennsylvania Ballet.