Creative Music Program
The Kimmel Center's Creative Music Program for Jazz is a school-year long program for grades 5-12 that exposes talented teens with a serious interest in music to teaching artists, master classes, and a well-rounded jazz education. Students get the chance to perform at the Kimmel Center and in the community.
This comprehensive program meets on Weekends and focuses on:
- stimulating each student’s individual creativity
- developing his/her musicianship skills by using the framework of the jazz tradition.
Throughout each season, students will explore the expansive field of creative music via:
- original and legacy compositions
- hands on exploration of the rich jazz tradition
- master level tuition in the vital areas of musicianship
- monthly celebrity master classes courtesy of our Meet the Masters series
- weekly intensive ensemble rehearsals
… and many performance opportunities!
Creative Music Program for Jazz Curriculum
The Creative Music Program includes expert instruction for intermediate and advanced students in:
- Rhythm skills
- Ear Training
- Collective composition
- Sight Reading
- Ensemble interaction & performance
- Jazz History
The curriculum provides for three varied levels of experience, with students being placed into one of three ensembles (Red, Blue, Magenta) based on our unique musicianship evaluation process.